[R] can nlme do the complex multilevel model?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Jun 9 19:15:38 CEST 2005

	  The documentation for "lme" includes the following:
####################################
     lme(fixed, data, random, correlation, weights, subset, method,
         na.action, control, contrasts = NULL)
Arguments:
 random: optionally, any of the following: (i) a one-sided formula of
          the form '~x1+...+xn | g1/.../gm', with 'x1+...+xn'
          specifying the model for the random effects and 'g1/.../gm'
          the grouping structure
#####################################
	  If you can't figure it out from this and the brief examples in the
help file, I have three other suggestions:

	  (1) Have you considered "lmer" in package "lme4"?  This function is
newer, the specification of random effects is different, and it may or
may not be easier to figure out.

	  (2) Have you seen Pinheiro and Bates (2000) Mixed-Effects Models in S
and S-PLUS (Springer)?  This is the definitive documentation on
library(nlme).  I've learned a lot from this book, and it might help you
even if you use "lme4".

	  (3) If you still can't figure it out, PLEASE do read the posting
guide! "http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html".  Many people are
able to answer their own questions in the course of preparing a question
following this guide.  If they still submit a question, I believe they
are more likely to get a useful reply.  In particular, if you submit
another question on this, please try to include a self-contained toy
example illustrating something you've tried that someone can copy from
your email, paste it into R, and test a few minor changes in a matter of
seconds.

	  spencer graves