[R] optim() does SANN, why not genetic algorithm (genoud)

Ajay Narottam Shah ajayshah at mayin.org
Thu Jun 9 11:13:13 CEST 2005

It is a very nice touch that optim() offers SANN (simulated annealing)
as a random search algorithm.

The R community already has genoud - an implementation of a genetic
algorithm for search.

Wouldn't it be neat if optim() would additionally offer method="GA"
where it internally uses code from genoud?

I glanced at the code and I find the work is all being done in

   res <- .Internal(optim(par, fn1, gr1, method, con, lower, upper))

Should we do it as:

   if (method == "GA") {
     # insert genoud calls here.
   } else {
     res <- .Internal(optim(par, fn1, gr1, method, con, lower, upper))
   }

Who wrote optim, and who maintains it?

--
Ajay Shah                                                   Consultant
ajayshah at mayin.org                      Department of Economic Affairs