[R] Specifying medoids in PAM?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Jun 8 18:57:55 CEST 2005

    David> Sorry, I wasn't trying to submit a bug report just yet.

the posting guide asks you to provide reproducible examples, in
any case, not just for bug reports ...
{and strictly speaking, you still haven't provided one, since
 it's a bit painful to read in your table below -- because of the
 extra row names ... but here I'm nit picking a bit }

    David> I wanted to see if I was using the command correctly.

Yes, you were.

    David> Here is a complete example (the row names have numbers in them):

    >> library(cluster)
    >> stats.table
    David> slope.for slope.ter prof.len break.elv
    David> 1 ALLYN W       0.09      0.05     63.3      1.46
    David> 2 ARCADIA       0.12      0.09     40.8      0.43
    David> 3 BURFOOT       0.12      0.03     58.9      0.78
    David> 4 CAMA BE       0.15      0.05     50.4      0.88
    David> 5 DASH PO       0.09      0.01    290.5      3.14
    David> 6 EAGLE C       0.09      0.01    226.4      1.49

    >> pam(stats.table, metric="euclidean", stand=TRUE, medoids=c(1,3,20,2,5), k=5)

    David> This command crashes RGUI.exe and windows sends an error report to
    David> Microsoft. It also crashes if I first subtract the NA rows from
    David> stats.table.

I can confirm to get segmentation faults using this example data
with k=5 ,  so effectively, it seems you've uncovered a bug in pam().
I will investigate and patch eventually.

Thank you for the report.
Martin Maechler,
ETH Zurich