[R] Specifying medoids in PAM?

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 21:11:25 CEST 2005

I am using the PAM algorithm in the CLUSTER library.

When I allow PAM to seed the medoids using the default __build__
algorithm things work
well:

> pam(stats.table, metric="euclidean", stand=TRUE, k=5)

But I have some clusters from a Hierarchical analysis that I would
like to use as seeds for the PAM algorithm. I can't figure what the
mediod argument wants. When I put in the five integer indicies for the
observations in stats.table that I would like to use as seeds (the row
numbers), I segfault R.

> pam(stats.table, metric="euclidean", stand=TRUE, medoids=c(1,3,20,2,5), k=5)

*** R Crashes ***

Here is my version info:
> version
         _
platform i386-pc-mingw32
arch     i386
os       mingw32
system   i386, mingw32
status
major    2
minor    0.1
year     2004
month    11
day      15
language R

Any guidance would be appreciated.

David

--
David Finlayson
Marine Geology & Geophysics

Office: Marine Sciences Building, Room 112
Phone: (206) 616-9407
Web: http://students.washington.edu/dfinlays