[R] make install on solaris 10

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Jun 6 17:08:57 CEST 2005

roger koenker <rkoenker at uiuc.edu> writes:

> We have recently upgraded to Solaris 10 on a couple of sparc machines
> with the usual
> mildly mysterious consequences for library locations, etc, etc.  I've
> managed to configure
> R 2.1.0 for a 64 bit version with:
>
> R is now configured for sparc-sun-solaris2.10
>
>    Source directory:          .
>    Installation directory:    /usr/local
>
>    C compiler:                gcc -m64 -g -O2
>    C++ compiler:              g++  -m64 -fPIC
>    Fortran compiler:          g77  -m64 -g -O2
>
>    Interfaces supported:      X11
>    External libraries:        readline
>    Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG, MBCS, NLS
>    Options enabled:           R profiling
>
>    Recommended packages:      yes
>
> configure:47559: WARNING: you cannot build info or html versions of
> the R manuals
>
> and make and make check seem to run smoothly, however "make install"
> dies with
> the following messages:
>
> ysidro.econ.uiuc.edu# make install
> installing doc ...
> creating doc/html/resources.html
> *** Error code 255
> The following command caused the error:
> false --html --no-split --no-headers ./resources.texi -o ../html/
> resources.html
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `../html/resources.html'
> Current working directory /usr/local/encap/R-2.1.0/doc/manual
> installing doc/html ...
> installing doc/html/search ...
> /usr/local/bin/install: resources.html: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1
> The following command caused the error:
> for f in resources.html; do \
>    /usr/local/bin/install -c -m 644 ${f} "/usr/local/lib/R/doc/html"; \
> done
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install'
> Current working directory /usr/local/encap/R-2.1.0/doc/html
> *** Error code 1
> The following command caused the error:
> for d in html manual; do \
>    (cd ${d} && make install) || exit 1; \
> done
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install'
> Current working directory /usr/local/encap/R-2.1.0/doc
> *** Error code 1
> The following command caused the error:
> for d in m4 tools doc etc share src po tests; do \
>    (cd ${d} && make install) || exit 1; \
> done
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install'
>
> and running R from the bin directory gives:
>
>  > capabilities()
>      jpeg      png    tcltk      X11 http/ftp  sockets   libxml     fifo
>     FALSE    FALSE    FALSE    FALSE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
>    cledit  IEEE754    iconv
>      TRUE     TRUE    FALSE
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  With solaris 9 we had
> a 64 bit build
> but never encounter such problems, and I don't see anything in the
> archives or the
> [...]

It's your missing (or outdated) makeinfo that is coming back to bite
you. However, I'm a bit confuzzled because we do ship resources.html
et al. as part of the R tarball, so there shouldn't be a need to build
them. Were you building from an SVN checkout?

The way out is to install texinfo 4.7 or better. If you have the .html
files, you might be able to get by just by touch-ing or copying them.