[R] make install on solaris 10

roger koenker rkoenker at uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 6 15:23:23 CEST 2005

We have recently upgraded to Solaris 10 on a couple of sparc machines
with the usual
mildly mysterious consequences for library locations, etc, etc.  I've
managed to configure
R 2.1.0 for a 64 bit version with:

R is now configured for sparc-sun-solaris2.10

   Source directory:          .
   Installation directory:    /usr/local

   C compiler:                gcc -m64 -g -O2
   C++ compiler:              g++  -m64 -fPIC
   Fortran compiler:          g77  -m64 -g -O2

   Interfaces supported:      X11
   External libraries:        readline
   Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG, MBCS, NLS
   Options enabled:           R profiling

   Recommended packages:      yes

configure:47559: WARNING: you cannot build info or html versions of
the R manuals

and make and make check seem to run smoothly, however "make install"
dies with
the following messages:

ysidro.econ.uiuc.edu# make install
installing doc ...
creating doc/html/resources.html
*** Error code 255
The following command caused the error:
false --html --no-split --no-headers ./resources.texi -o ../html/
resources.html
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `../html/resources.html'
Current working directory /usr/local/encap/R-2.1.0/doc/manual
installing doc/html ...
installing doc/html/search ...
/usr/local/bin/install: resources.html: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1
The following command caused the error:
for f in resources.html; do \
   /usr/local/bin/install -c -m 644 ${f} "/usr/local/lib/R/doc/html"; \
done
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install'
Current working directory /usr/local/encap/R-2.1.0/doc/html
*** Error code 1
The following command caused the error:
for d in html manual; do \
   (cd ${d} && make install) || exit 1; \
done
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install'
Current working directory /usr/local/encap/R-2.1.0/doc
*** Error code 1
The following command caused the error:
for d in m4 tools doc etc share src po tests; do \
   (cd ${d} && make install) || exit 1; \
done
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install'

and running R from the bin directory gives:

 > capabilities()
     jpeg      png    tcltk      X11 http/ftp  sockets   libxml     fifo
    FALSE    FALSE    FALSE    FALSE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
   cledit  IEEE754    iconv
     TRUE     TRUE    FALSE

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  With solaris 9 we had
a 64 bit build
but never encounter such problems, and I don't see anything in the
archives or the
install manual that is relevant -- but of course, I'm not very clear
about what I'm looking
for either.

Roger

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Champaign, IL 61820