[R] Segmentation fault using gentoo linux and mysql

Dubravko Dolic Dubravko.Dolic at komdat.com
Fri Jun 3 12:54:52 CEST 2005

Dear Listmembers

We have a data server with some amounts of data which we try to analyze using R. Now having some MySQL databases with MySQL Ver 12.22 Distrib 4.0.24 and R 2.1.0 compiled from sources on this machine:

Fujitsu Siemens CELSIUS V810
4 GB RAM
Dual AMD Opteron Processor 246
Harddisk via SAN.

(see user details:)
sysname                         "Linux" <- gentoo linux
release		"2.6.11-hardened-r13"                               version "#1 SMP Fri May 27 15:25:55 CEST 2005"                               machine 				"x86_64"

Editor: Emacs with ESS 5.2.3

While I can connect R to the database (RMySQL/DBI) and retrieve basic information (e.g. SHOW TABLE, DESCRIBE) it is not possible to send SQL Queries. The moment I try to do: res <- dbSendQuery(con, "select * from table") or any other SELECT statement R terminates and I receive a Segmentation Fault.

Is anyone out there having similar problems in this environment. Any hints welcome.

Regards

Dubravko Dolic
Statistical Analyst
Tel:      +49 (0)89-55 27 44 - 4630