[R] Dynamic Dictionary Data Type?

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 16:33:08 CEST 2005

> cache results.  Other languages usually offer a dictionary data type
> which I can use as an efficient way to dynamically cache already
> calculated results - what's the best way to do this in R?

It really depends on what sort of data you want to cache - if it is
fundamentally 1D, use a vector, 2D use a matrix etc.  The closest
equivalent to dictionary/hashmap is a list - however R's pass a copy
semantics might slow things down if you are caching a lot of data.

Hadley Wickham
http://had.co.nz