[R] catching errors in a loop

Anders Bjørgesæter anders.bjorgesater at bio.uio.no
Thu Jul 28 15:52:27 CEST 2005

Hello

I can't figure out how to handle errors in R. I have a loop, e.g.

for (i in 2:n) {
.
fit <- nls(model), start=list

if any type of error occur write i to a text file
.
}

I putted “try” around the nls-expression and this let me run through the
loop without R stopping (which I want because each loop takes some time so
I do not want it to stop), but I also want to capture the variable when an
error occur.

Appreciate any help

/Anders
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I tried to use:
**“options(error=write(variable.names(matrix[i]),
file="..\\error.txt",append = TRUE))”, hoping this made R write to the text
file every time an error occurred (but this made R write all i’s in the
loop to the text file).
**tryCatch(<- nls(model), start=list
), finally =write(
) also writes to a
text file but not necessary when there is an error.
**“if (Parameter>x errorM=9 else errorM =0” works but I want to capture any
type of error.