[R] Redirecting Messages and Errors to a file

McGehee, Robert Robert.McGehee at geodecapital.com
Wed Jul 27 16:30:58 CEST 2005

Hello all,
I'm trying to setup a simple construct that will email me all errors,
warnings, and output of a sample R script. My initial thought was to use
sink() and tryCatch around the script such that at the end of the script
any output would be mailed to me, i.e.:

sinkFile <- tempfile()
sink(sinkFile)
tryCatch({
	[R script]},
	finally = {
		sink()
		if (length(readLines(sinkFile)))
			mailOutput(readLines(sinkFile))
	})

However, the sink() does not seem to be capturing the error messages as
I would have hoped. That is, if the R-script is {print("abc");
stop("def")}, the print output is captured to the file, the stop error
message is not, and instead sent to the screen.

Any thoughts on how to do this such that everything is sent to the file
for emailing? Perhaps something different all together?

Thanks,
Robert

This e-mail, and any attachments hereto, are intended for us...{{dropped}}