[R] grep help needed

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Jul 26 14:48:35 CEST 2005

Dear Denis,

I don't believe that anyone fielded your question -- my apologies if I
missed a response.

Actually, it looks like a list of matrices, each with some attributes
(which, I gather, aren't of interest to you).

> but at this point I resorted to
> printing it on the console and imported that text into Excel
> for further cleaning, which is easy enough. I'd like to
> complete the process within R to save time and to circumvent
> Excel's limit of around 64000 lines. But I have a hard time
> figuring out how to clean up this text in R.

If I understand correctly what you want, this seems a very awkward way to
proceed. Why not just extract the matrices from the list, stick on the
additional columns that you want, stick the matrices together, name the
columns, and then output the data to a file?

M1 <- Data[[1]]  # assuming that the original list is named Data
M2 <- Data[[2]]
M1 <- cbind(1, 1:nrow(M1), M1)
M2 <- cbind(2, 1:nrow(M2), M2)
M <- rbind(M1, M2)
colnames(M) <- c("PID", "POS", "X", "Y")
write.table(M, "Data.txt", row.names=FALSE, quote=FALSE)

It wouldn't be hard to generalize this to any number of matrices and to
automate the process.

I hope that this helps,
 John