[R] Plot zooming i.e. changing ylim according to xlim

Henrik Andersson h.andersson at nioo.knaw.nl
Tue Jul 26 10:16:12 CEST 2005

Dear R-gurus,

I would like to zoom in a plot, e.g. I select a region on the x-axis and
then I would like the ranges on the y-axis to change accordingly.

Is it possible to do this with existing functions, or do I have to
invent some data selection before plotting?

See below a short example, where I select ylim with trial and error,
which I want to avoid.

Cheers, Henrik Andersson
## Example -- in reality more numbers, no function
x <- seq(0,20)
y <- exp(-x)

plot(y~x,type='l')

## Zoom in the end, to see what's happenning

plot(y~x,type='l',xlim=c(19,20))

## Try other ylim

plot(y~x,type='l',xlim=c(19,20),ylim=c(0,1))

## Not enough

plot(y~x,type='l',xlim=c(19,20),ylim=c(0,1E-8))

## Better
Henrik Andersson
Netherlands Institute of Ecology -
Centre for Estuarine and Marine Ecology