[R] calling R from C or C++

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Jul 24 17:27:54 CEST 2005

On 23 July 2005 at 20:18, Bahoo wrote:
| > Hi,
| >
| > I have C/C++ code from which I wish I could call R
| > do something useful.
|
| By calling I mean linking with the R shared library,
| instead of R BATCH.
|
| In particular, I want to use regression functions such
| as ridge and locfit.
|

| > I saw a 2003 message by Thomas saying that "You can
| > compile R as a shared library, which allows you to
| > construct and evaluate R expressions from C."  Any
| > more information would be helpful.  I am looking for
| > some documentation that has a more step by step like
| > instructions.  Anyone who has experience, please
| > point
| > me to some resources.
| >
| > ps. There is a document on CRAN named "Writing R
| > extensions" which seems relevant, but it was too
| > difficult for me to understand.

Just get the Magic Wand from the Harry Potter books; that way you get the
functionality for free without having to read those pesky and difficult
documents we provide to explain how to do the other way -- when your Magic
Wand is broken.

Dirk, who still wants chocolate to grow on trees, preferably in his backyard

--
Statistics: The (futile) attempt to offer certainty about uncertainty.
         -- Roger Koenker, 'Dictionary of Received Ideas of Statistics'