[R] "%03d" in the pdf command

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Sat Jul 23 23:23:08 CEST 2005

On 23-Jul-05 Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Dennis Fisher wrote:
>
>> The pdf man page contains the following text:
>>
>>      pdf(file = ifelse(onefile, "Rplots.pdf", "Rplot%03d.pdf"),
>>          width = 6, height = 6, onefile = TRUE, family = "Helvetica",
>>          title = "R Graphics Output", fonts = NULL, version = "1.1",
>>          paper, encoding, bg, fg, pointsize)
>>
>> I am creating multi-page graphics in which each page is saved as a
>> separate file.  If I invoke onefile=T and I include "%03d" in the
>> filename, each page is saved as a separate file.  However, I don't
>> understand the "%03d".  Can someone explain?  Am I calling a register
>> that contains the page number?
>
> See ?sprintf, or man printf on your system.
> It formats the page number in that C format.

If it's still obscure, the effect of the format string "Rplot%03d.pdf"
is that a string is generated consisting of the characters

  Rplot

followed by

  an integer of width 3 digits (padded to the left with zeros
  if required to make the width equal to 3),

followed by the characters

  d.pdf

where the value to be inserted in place of "%3d" will be derived
from somewhere -- not specified in the command itself but deducible
from "?pdf": If onefile=TRUE then you get all figures in a single
file whose name is "Rplots.pdf", otherwise you get them succesively
in separate files with names

  Rplot001.pdf
  Rplot002.pdf
  Rplot003.pdf