[R] Rprof fails in combination with RMySQL

bogdan romocea br44114 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 14:45:48 CEST 2005

I think the opposite is applicable too - optimize R outside of MySQL.
Exclude the MySQL queries completely and use instead the same data
frames (prepared beforehand) with Rprof. Then, if you really want to
run the full code with Rprof, wrap the queries in try():
data <- try(fetch(dbSendQuery(connection,query),n=-1))
if (class(data) == "try-error") for (i in 1:100) {
	data <- try(fetch(dbSendQuery(connection,query),n=-1))
	if (class(data) != "try-error") break
	}
Also, why do you close the connection after each query? Open one
connection and use it for the whole R session. (I never close the
connection after a query.)
hth,
b.