[R] Is it possible to create highly customized report in *.xls format by using R/S+?

bogdan romocea br44114 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 15:15:53 CEST 2005

So your conclusion is that the only choice is to make mistakes and get
in trouble. (That's what Excel excels at.)

Two options I haven't seen mentioned are:
1. Create your deliverables in HTML format, and change the extension
from .htm to .xls; Excel will import them automatically. The way the
file looks in Excel is determined by .CSS settings (I've seen this
happen) and I presume HTML tags.
2. For the real spreadsheet thing, switch to OpenOffice.org. Their
format is XML compressed with ZIP which you can easily work with since
the format specifications are not proprietary. See
http://xml.openoffice.org/ for details.