[R] The steps of building library in R 2.1.1

Ivy_Li Ivy_Li at smics.com
Thu Jul 21 05:25:04 CEST 2005

Dear All,

With the warm support of every R expert, I have built my R library successfully.
Especially thanks: Duncan Murdoch
		    Gabor Grothendieck
		    Henrik Bengtsson
		    Uwe Ligges
Without your help, I will lower efficiency.
I noticed that some other friends were puzzled by the method of building library. Now, I organize a document about it. Hoping it can help more friends.

1. Read the webpage <http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/Rtools>
2. Download the "rw2011.exe"; Install the newest version of R
3. Download the "tools.zip"; Unpack it into c:\cygwin
4. Download the "ActivePerl-5.6.1.633-MSWin32-x86.msi"; Install Active Perl in c:\Perl
5. Download the "MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe"; Install the mingw32 port of gcc in c:\mingwin
6. Then go to "Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables -> Path -> Variable Balue"; add "c:\cygwin;c:\mingwin\bin"
	The PATH variable already contains a couple of paths, add the two given above in front of all others, separated by ";".
	Why we add them in the beginning of the path? Because we want the folder that contains the tools to be at the beginning so that you eliminate the possibility of finding a different program of the same name first in a folder that comes prior to the one where the tools are stored.

7. I use the package.skeleton() function to make a draft package. It will automate some of the setup for a new source package. It creates directories, saves functions and    data to appropriate places, and creates skeleton help files and 'README' files describing further steps in packaging.
I type in R:
	>f <- function(x,y) x+y
	>g <- function(x,y) x-y
	>d <- data.frame(a=1, b=2)
	>e <- rnorm(1000)
	>package.skeleton(list=c("f","g","d","e"), name="example")
Then modify the 'DESCRIPTION':
	Package: example
	Version: 1.0-1