[R] Is it possible to create highly customized report in *.xlsformat by using R/S+?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Jul 20 17:53:00 CEST 2005

Whit Armstrong <whit <at> twinfieldscapital.com> writes:
> I have a package which I use to create excel files from R.
>
> I have not been able to produce a configure script general enough for me
> to post it to cran, but I will send it to you if you like.
>
> I use it for production jobs on our linux servers.  You may have to
> tinker a bit to get it to compile on windows.
>
> Have a look at the examples below.  If it suits your needs, I will send
> it to you.

Looks straightforward, but does not fancy-pants formatting.  If that is
sufficient, could one not borrow Greg's approach from read.xls() [ in package
gdata, part of the unbundled gregmisc bundle ] and create a simpler write.xls()
that uses Perl's SpreadSheet::WriteExcel to write xls files -- just like Greg
uses the related SpreadSheet::ReadExcel to read xls files ?  That way you avoid
the configure hassles of the Java module you use here [ if I recall correctly,
you borrowed this from an Apache sub-project, no ? ]

Cheers, Dirk