[R] CPU Usage with R 2.1.0 in Windows

davidr@rhotrading.com davidr at rhotrading.com
Wed Jul 20 16:05:52 CEST 2005

If you set the affinity of the R process to processor 0, you can run another (R or other) process with affinity set to processor 1 and get 100% usage.
Most applications can't take advantage of hyperthreading (or multiprocessors), since they have to be specially written to do so.

It seems that parts of Windows are single threaded, though, so, for example, starting up another instance of Excel when one is already using all of a 'processor' can take a very long time, but if the processes are already started, you can take advantage of the gross parallelism.

David L. Reiner