[R] Problems with date-format (R 2.1.1 + chron)

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 12:47:24 CEST 2005

Here are some different approaches to this problem:

#1 just convert it to chron without using Date class.
days(chron("21-07-2005", format = "d-m-y"))

#2 after converting it to Date, convert it to numeric and then
# to chron to avoid the problem
dd <- as.Date("21-07-2005", "%d-%m-%y")
days(chron(unclass(dd)))

#3 do not use chron in the first place, just Date
dd <- as.Date("21-07-2005", "%d-%m-%y")
ordered(format(dd, "%d"), lev = 1:31)

Note that days in the chron package gives the answer as an ordered
factor, which is what is assumed is desired in these examples as
well as pointers to further information in the references.

R News 4/1 Help Desk has some examples of date manipulations
in Date, chron and POSIXct in the table at the end of the article.