[R] Taking the derivative of a quadratic B-spline

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Jul 20 12:27:48 CEST 2005

James McDermott wrote:
> Would the unique quadratic defined by the three points be the same
> curve as the curve predicted by a quadratic B-spline (fit to all of
> the data) through those same three points?

Yes, if you restrict attention to an interval between knots.  You'll
need to re-evaluate it for each such interval (but since quadratic
splines are continuous, you can reuse evaluations at the knots, and you
just need one new point in each interval).

 From a practical point of view, you need to make sure that COBS really
is giving you a quadratic spline and really is reporting all of the
knots correctly.  Watch out for coincident knots (zero length
intervals); you don't care about the derivative on those, but they might
cause overflows in some calculations.

Duncan Murdoch