[R] .gct file

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Tue Jul 19 19:27:00 CEST 2005

	  Try ?read.table or args(read.table).  Might "skip=2" do what you want?

	  spencer graves
p.s.  I routinely "readLines(File, n=11)" to see how many headers there
are AND identify the "sep" character.  Then I
"quantile(count.fields(File, ...))" to see if all records have the same
number of fields.  Then I call something like "read.table" with the
appropriate arguments.  Then I print the first 2 or so rows of the
result to make sure I read the file correctly.

mark salsburg wrote:

> ok so the gct file looks like this:
>
> #1.2  (version number)
> 7283 19   (matrix size)
> Name Description Values
> ....      .......          ......
>
> How can I tell R to disregard the first two lines and start reading
> the 3rd line in this gct file. I would just delete them, but I do not
> know how to open a gct. file
>
> thank you
>
> On 7/19/05, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:
>
>>On 7/19/2005 12:10 PM, mark salsburg wrote:
>>
>>>I have two files to compare, one is a regular txt file that I can read
>>>in no prob.
>>>
>>>The other is a .gct file (How do I read in this one?)
>>>
>>>I tried a simple
>>>
>>>read.table("data.gct", header = T)
>>>
>>>How do you suggest reading in this file??
>>>

>>.gct is not a standard filename extension.  You need to know what is in
>>that file.  Where did you get it?  What program created it?
>>
>>Chances are the easiest thing to do is to get the program that created
>>it to export in a well known format, e.g. .csv.
>>
>>Duncan Murdoch

Spencer Graves, PhD
Senior Development Engineer
PDF Solutions, Inc.