[R] Predict

Matthias Eggenberger megg at gmx.ch
Tue Jul 19 13:22:35 CEST 2005

When I callculate a linear model, then I can compute via confint the
confidencial intervals. the interval level can be chosen. as result, I get
the parameter of the model according to the interval level.

On the other hand, I can compute the prediction-values for my model as well
with predict(object, type=c("response") etc.). Here I have also the
possibility to chose a level for the confidential intervals. the output are
the calculatet values for the fit, the lower and upper level.

the problem now is, that when I calculate the values through the linear
model function with the parameter values I get from confint() an I compare
them with the values I get from predict() these values differ extremely. Why
is that so? Does the command predict() calculate the values through an other
routine? That means the command predict() doesn't use the same parameters to
calculate the prediction-values than the ones given by confint()?

Greetings Matthias