[R] Time Series Count Models

Brett Gordon brgordon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 01:40:08 CEST 2005

Paul,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. I agree - there are many
possible descriptions for my data, and I realize that I don't want to
get bogged down with figuring out the 'best' model if something simple
will work well. For me, I think the difficulty is going to be handling
the cumulative aspect of the lagged variable.

To be clear, suppose that y_1, ..., y_T are the counts. At time t=3, I
want to include the quantity (y_1 + y_2) as an independent variable,
and so on. I wonder if this is as simple as solving a conditional ML
problem......I'll have to look more deeply into it.

Again, thanks for the references.

-Brett