[R] Proportion test in three-chices experiment

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Sat Jul 16 17:49:47 CEST 2005

I suspect that there are more direct ways to do this test, but it
is unclear to me just what the issue is.  For example, if there
are many subjects and very few stimuli for each, you might want
to get some sort of measure of ability for each subject (many
possibilities here, then test the measure across subjects with a
t test.  The measure must be chosen so that you can specify a
null hypothesis.  It must be directional.

If you have a few subjects and many trials per subject, then you
could do a significance test for each subject.
You want a directional test, because you have a specific
hypothesis, namely, that the correct answer will occur more often
than predicted from the marginal frequencies in the 3x3 table.
(I assume it is a 3x3 table with stimuli as rows and responses ad
columns, and you want to show that the diagonal cells are higher
than predicted.) One possibility is kappa, which is in the vcd
package, and also in psy and concord, in somewhat different
forms.

Usually in this sort of experiment, though, there isn't much of
an issue about whether subjects are transmitting information at
all.  Rather the issue is testing alternative models of what they
are doing.

Jon

Home page: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron