[R] Ordinal data - Regression Trees & Proportional Odds

Volker Schlecht volker.schlecht at wiwi.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Jul 15 14:43:13 CEST 2005

Dear Dr. Fieberg,

you used a regression tree approach to explore ordinal data set in addition to
the proportinal odds model. I find this very interesting. I would like to know, how good the
results of the regression tree approach turned out in comparison to the
proportional odds model. Since people very often treat ordinal data as continuous, I would
like to know how successfull this strategy is. I mean, I can see, what may be a reason
to do this: One could argue that ordinal data an a sufficiently large scale (say 1 to 10) are just
coarsely measured continuous data.

I would be delighted if you could tell me your experiences about the treatment of ordinal data with
models for continuous data. Also I would be delighted, if you could tell me, if your results are published somewhere.

Best wishes,

Volker Schlecht