[R] Variance components from lm?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Jul 15 02:07:11 CEST 2005

	  Under normal circumstances, 'RSiteSearch("variance components")'
would likely identify "lme" in package nlme and lmer in package lme4.  I
recommend lme, as it comes with a fairly complete set of helper
functions described in Pinheiro and Bates (2000) Mixed-Effect Models in
S and S-Plus (Springer).  "lmer" is Doug Bates' next generation product
currently under development and lacking some of the helper functions
available with lme.

	  spencer graves
p.s.  I said, "Under normal circumstances", because when I tried
RSiteSearch just now, it didn't work.  When I went to
"www.r-project.org" -> Search -> "R site search", I got "Computer
trouble, July 13, 2005".  When it works (which is 99.7% of the time), it
is my favorite tool for finding things about R for which I don't already
know where to look.

Steve Ellison wrote:

> I often use simple nested random-effect models for interlaboratory data.
> The variance components are important things to know.
>
> Is there an R function or package that gets variance components from lm
> objects? Or can someone point me to a method of doing so?

Spencer Graves, PhD
Senior Development Engineer
PDF Solutions, Inc.
333 West San Carlos Street Suite 700