[R] Efficient testing for +ve definiteness

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Jul 14 19:59:43 CEST 2005

	  To reinforce Prof. Ripley's comment that, "Knowing the determinant
does not tell you if the matrix is close to non-positive definite", note
that the determinant of the negative of the identity matrix, (-diag(k)),
is (-1)^k;  if k is even, the determinant is positive.  This silly
example connects to real cases, as for example a 3x3 matrix of rank 1
with eigenvalues (1, -1e-20, -1e-21).  The last two eigenvalues are
buried in the noise relative to the largest (under standard double
precision arithmatec).

	  spencer graves

--
Spencer Graves, PhD