[R] Error running lme.

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Thu Jul 14 19:40:56 CEST 2005

John

Your model is not properly specified for lme. You have not included any
random effects or a grouping variable. Let me assume just for sake of
argument that you want to include a random effect for the intercept and
for time. Your lme specification would be

> fm1 <- lme(Velocity~time, random=~time|ID, gate)

Where ID is a grouping variable.

I would encourage you to work with lmer, which is now found in the
Matrix package. The call to lmer differs slightly from lme,

> fm1 <- lmer(Velocity~time + (time|ID), gate)

I hope this is helpful,
Harold