[R] Memory question

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Jul 14 05:22:53 CEST 2005

	  What kinds of matrices?  There are facilities in the Matrix and
SparseM packages that might help for sparse matrices.  If they are N x k
where N is large and k is not, can you compute something like the QR
decomposition and get away with keeping only the R part for most of your
matrices?

	  One could potentially define a class of matrices that are only kept
in memory only when needed;  I think S-Plus may do that.  It would take
a lot of work to make that work generally, but you might be able to
accomplish what you need with a much smaller effort.

	  spencer graves

--
Spencer Graves, PhD
Senior Development Engineer