[R] texture in barplots?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Jul 13 23:51:02 CEST 2005

Adrian Dusa <adi at roda.ro> writes:

> On Wednesday 13 July 2005 17:36, Knut Krueger wrote:
> > Adrian Dusa schrieb:
> > >Is it possible to draw barplots using a texture instead of colors, for a
> > > black and white printer?
> >
> >   barplot(height,.....,density=c(4,6,8,10)  ...)
> >
> > for each bar one number - this example is for a barplot with 4 bars.
> >
> > with regards
> > Knut Krueger
> > http://www.biostatistic.de
>
> Thank you, I read about density but they only seem to draw diagonal lines
> (differing in the number of lines per inch).
> I am looking for different *types* of texture (i.e. maybe I could reverse the
> shading lines, or cross-lines or something like that).

This comes up every now and then, and while it seems that everyone
thinks fill patterns would be nice to have, I suspect that every
attempt to actually implement it have gotten killed in infancy.

The thing that is tricky to design right is the cross-device issues.
Only some devices support this at all, and when they do, the patterns
tend to be device dependent too. Probably not impossible -- there are
other bits of the device drivers that deal with missing capabilities,
like string rotation and clipping -- just, well, tricky.

> All the best,
> Adrian
>
> --
> Adrian Dusa