[R] convert to chron objects

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 23:10:51 CEST 2005

[I had some emails problems so I am sending this again.  Sorry
if you get it twice.]

On 7/13/05, Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/13/05, Young Cho <iidn01 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a column of a dataframe which has time stamps
> > like:
> >
> > > eh$t[1]
> > [1] 06/05/2005 01:15:25
> >
> > and was wondering how to convert it to chron variable.
> > Thanks a lot.

Try this:

# test data frame eh containing a factor variable t
eh <- data.frame(t = c("06/05/2005 01:15:25", "06/07/2005 01:15:25"))

# substring converts factor to character and extracts substring
chron(dates = substring(eh$t, 1, 10), times = substring(eh$t, 12))

See ?chron for more info.  There is an article on dates in
R News 4/1 and although it does not specifically answer this
question it may be useful with chron and also provides a
reference to more chron info elsewhere.