[R] Is there a working XML parser for the windows R Version 2.0.1

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 15:30:06 CEST 2005

On 7/13/05, Soren Wilkening <wilkening at censix.com> wrote:
> Dear all
>
> the regular XML package does not work correctly with the R 2.0.1 windows
> version.
> Can anybody indicate a suitable alternative ?
> I need to dynamically read, parse and process a HTML table in R that is
> available at a certain url.

Is this a one-time transfer or does the information change and you have
to do it completely automatically on a repeated basis?

In the first case, select the table, copy it to the clipboard, paste it into
Excel and then transfer it to R from there.

In the second case you could use RDCOMClient or rcom packages to
get it via Internet Explorer -- although that would be more involved and,
in particular, requires that you learn the IE COM interface.  There may
or may not be some discussion in the rcom list archives:
   http://mailman.csd.univie.ac.at/pipermail/rcom-l/
on this approach.