[R] what is the .Machine$double.xmin for a 64 bit machine?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 12 13:07:53 CEST 2005

It's a floating-point quantity: `64 bit' refers to the pointer size
(only).

Almost all current R platforms use IEC60559 arithmetic for real numbers
and 32-bit integers for integers, so differ only in the way the compiler
orders operations and stores to memory (thereby losing precision on some
CPUs).