[R] building packages on Windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Jul 11 21:38:19 CEST 2005

On 7/11/2005 3:21 PM, Sundar Dorai-Raj wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I just recently upgraded my computer though I'm using the same OS (XP).
> But now I'm having difficulty building packages and I cannot seem to
> solve the problem. I'm using R-2.1.1pat on Windows XP.
>
> Here is what I tried:
>
> D:\Users\sundard\slib\sundar\R>R CMD CHECK sundar
> * checking for working latex ... OK
> * using log directory 'D:/Users/sundard/slib/sundar/R/sundar.Rcheck'
> * using R version 2.1.1, 2005-06-21
> * checking for file 'sundar/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
> * this is package 'sundar' version '1.1'
> * checking if this is a source package ... OK
>
> installing R.css in D:/Users/sundard/slib/sundar/R/sundar.Rcheck
>

> ---------- Making package sundar ------------
>    adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
>    installing NAMESPACE file and metadata
> Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
> In addition: Warning message:
> cannot open file
> 'D:/Users/sundard/slib/sundar/R/sundar.Rcheck/sundar/NAMESPACE'
>
> Execution halted
> make[2]: *** [nmspace] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make: *** [pkg-sundar] Error 2
> *** Installation of sundar failed ***
>
> Removing 'D:/Users/sundard/slib/sundar/R/sundar.Rcheck/sundar'
>   ERROR
> Installation failed.
>
> I've also tried to remove the NAMESPACE which then passes `check' but
> fails on `build' with the following:
>
> * checking for file 'sundar/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
> * preparing 'sundar':
> * checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
> * removing junk files
> Error: cannot open file 'sundar/DESCRIPTION' for reading
>
> If this is relevant, here is my PATH:
> C:\WINDOWS\system32;
> C:\WINDOWS;
> .;
> D:\R\rw2011pat\bin;
> D:\R\tools\bin;
> D:\Perl\bin;
> D:\Tcl\bin;
> D:\TeXLive\bin\win32;
> D:\Mingw\bin;
> C:\Program Files\Insightful\splus62\cmd;
> C:\Program Files\HTML Help Workshop
>
> Here, the D:\R\tools\bin directory contains the utilities for building R
> from source, downloaded today. Am I missing something obvious?

Yes, you need to put the Windows directories later in your path.  There
are some programs in the toolset which have like-named commands in
Windows; you need to use ours, not theirs.

There are other differences between your path and the one recommended in
the Admin and Installation manual; they may also be causing problems.

Duncan Murdoch