[R] R.oo static field

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Jul 9 22:38:08 CEST 2005

	  Since I've seen no replies to your question, I will offer brief
comments that will certainly not meet your needs but might get you
started.  I don't know what you mean by a "static member of a class".  I
just got 3 hits from RSiteSearch("static member of a class"), but I
don't know if any one of them would help you.

	  You might get more replies if you prepare another post giving a very
short toy example in the form of a very few R commands to help explain
what you want to do and the deficiencies in what you tried, using the
posting guide "http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html" to help you
prepare your question.  The archives contain much information on
classes.  In particular, you might get something from Thomas Lumley's
"Programmers Nitch" in the June 2004 R News.  I also recommend chapters
4 and 5 in Venables and Ripley (2000) S Programming (Springer);  the
"polynomial" class discussed in sec. 4.3 is implemented in R package
"polynom".  The vision for what classes have become in recent versions
of S-Plus and R is outlined in Chambers (1998) Programming with Data
(Springer).  However, the actual implementation in S-Plus and R were
sufficiently different from that book, at least when I tried to read it
a few years ago, that I found it somewhat frustrating.

	  spencer graves

Omar Lakkis wrote:

> How can I define a static member of a class? not a static method,
> rather a static field that would be accessed by all instances of the
> class.

Spencer Graves, PhD
Senior Development Engineer
PDF Solutions, Inc.