[R] Problem compiling R 2.1.* on SUSE 9.2

J Dougherty jwd at surewest.net
Fri Jul 8 02:18:01 CEST 2005

I have been unable to compile either R 2.1.0 or 2.1.1 under SUSE 9.2.  The
system simply hangs as far as I can tell.  All key board and mouse
service dies.  I have had no problem compiling earlier versions of R through
2.0.1, aside from remembering to include readline in the configuration.
Configure runs without any warnings except that Info or html versions of the
R Manuals.  The SUSE 9.2 install is generic with KDE 3.3 as the principal
GUI.  Compiling also crashes under GNOME.  Because of the system hang, I
can't provide any error codes.  Perusing /var/log/messages doesn't seem to
yield any clues.  The system is a KDE AMD XP 2100, there is 1 GB of system
ram, less than 10% of the harddisk space is in use, videocard is an nVidia
GeForce4 Ti 4400.  The OS is SUSE 9.2 and it has current updates for
security.

JWDougherty