[R] Orthogonal Distance Regressions

Peter J. Hernes pjhernes at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jul 7 21:41:42 CEST 2005

Hi,

I work with environmental data and want to determine correlations between
variables that either have no "dependent/independent" relationship or the
relationship is unknown.  Therefore I prefer to use orthogonal distance
regression (orthogonal linear regression, perpendicular sum of squares,
etc.).  I am trying to get set up to do this in R, but the various
terminologies are making it challenging for me to determine whether this
capability exists in the base packages (it doesn't look like it to me) or
which other package I should download to do this.  Searching the R website
for any of the three terminologies above has not given me any obvious
solutions.  I would appreciate any assistance from folks with experience
doing this type of regression.  Thanks in advance!

Peter

Peter J. Hernes, Ph.D.
Land, Air and Water Resources - Hydrology
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616-8628
Tel: 530-752-7827