[R] randomForest

Weiwei Shi helprhelp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 21:38:14 CEST 2005

Hi there:
I have a question on random foresst:

recently i helped a friend with her random forest and i came with this problem:
her dataset has 6 classes and since the sample size is pretty small:
264 and the class distr is like this (Diag is the response variable)
sample.size <- lapply(1:6, function(i) sum(Diag==i))
> sample.size
[[1]]
[1] 36

[[2]]
[1] 12

[[3]]
[1] 120

[[4]]
[1] 36

[[5]]
[1] 30

[[6]]
[1] 30

I assigned this sample.size to sampsz for a stratiefied sampling
purpose and i got the following error:
Error in sum(..., na.rm = na.rm) : invalid 'mode' of argument

if I use sampsz=c(36, 12, 120, 36, 30, 30), then it is fine. Could you
tell me why?
btw, as to classification problem for this with uneven class number
situation, do u have some suggestions to improve its accuracy?  I
tried to use c() way to make the sampsz works but the result is
similar.

Thanks,

weiwei