[R] about image() function in R and colors

Tuszynski, Jaroslaw W. JAROSLAW.W.TUSZYNSKI at saic.com
Thu Jul 7 14:22:27 CEST 2005

I do not know the solution to your problem, but I had the similar problems
with image() function and most of derived functions. It seems that 'image'
function was really not meant for displaying image data, instead it was
designed to display matrices in the image format. Matlab had the same
problem and ended up creating 2 functions: 'image' (similar to R's 'image')
and 'imshow' (designed for displaying image data).

There are three major processing steps in the 'image' that are hard to
control or reverse:
1) scaling of the data intensities ( problem explained by Javier). Scaling
is not much of a problem if continuous palette of colors is used , or to
quote
"?image" when "'col' is a list of colors such as that generated by
'rainbow', 'heat.colors', 'topo.colors', 'terrain.colors' or similar
functions". However scaling causes problems in case of discontinuous
color-maps (palettes).
2) scaling of the data dimensions so it fits in default size window instead
of scaling of the window to fit the data. This results in image with
non-square pixels. There might be a way to force 'image' not to scale
dimensions, I just did not spend much time looking for it yet.
3) Flipping of the image. As "?image" shows one needs to "transpose and flip
matrix horizontally" or perform "image(t(volcano)[ncol(volcano):1,])" for
the image data to be visualized in proper orientation.

All those steps make sense in case of visualizing 2D data, but they are a
hindrance in case of visualizing images.

Jarek

 Jarek Tuszynski, PhD.                           o / \
 Science Applications International Corporation  <\__,|
 (703) 676-4192                                   ">   \
 Jaroslaw.W.Tuszynski at saic.com                     `    \