[R] R under suse linux 9.3

Ernesto Jardim ernesto at ipimar.pt
Thu Jul 7 11:26:22 CEST 2005

Mahdi Osman wrote:
> Hi, dear list members,
>
> I've been using R under windows XP and I am now changing
> my system to SUSE LINUX 9.3.
>
> I could figure out that there is no precompiled version
> of R for LINUX. To get me going, I would like your help
> regarding what I need to setup R under my SUSE LINUX.
>
> Which compiler do I need to be able to compile the source
> and I was wondering if I could get GNU compiler?
>
> I highly appreciate your help and for taking your time.
>

> Looking forward to hearing from you
>
> Regards
>
> Mahdi

Hi Mahdi,

Just uncompress the file

tar -xzf R-2.1.0.tar.gz

cd into the directory and do

./configure --prefix=/usr/local
make
make install

It might happen that some packages are not installed, the most common is
not to have the devel version of "readline" and "f2c". Just start yast
and install these packages.

Another issue is that you should run the previous commands with your
user and the "make install" has root.

Regards

EJ