[R] rlm/M/MM-estimator questions

Matthias Kohl Matthias.Kohl at uni-bayreuth.de
Thu Jul 7 09:49:03 CEST 2005

Christian Hennig wrote:

>Hi list,
>
>1) How can the MM-estimator method="MM" in function rlm be tuned to 85%
>efficiency? It seems that there is a default tuning to 95%. I presume, but
>am not sure, that the MM-estimator uses phi=phi.bisquare as default and
>the tuning constant could be set by adding a parameter c=...
>Is this true? Which value to use for 85%?
>(In principle I should be able to figure that out theoretically, but it
>would be much easier if somebody already knew the constant or a
>straightforward way to compute it.)

Hi Christian,

I have not calculated the efficiency myself ...
But the thesis of  Matias Salibian-Barrera (SB 2000) might help you to
find the answer
(cf. Chapter 4).
See: http://mathstat.math.carleton.ca:16080/~matias/thesis.pdf

As far as I understand the choice k0=1.548 is to obtain a breakdown
point 0.5 whereas k0=1.988 leads to a breakdown point of 0.4 - at least
in the location case; confer p. 60 of SB 2000.

In the article "Optimal robust $M$-estimates of location" by Fraiman,
Yohai and Zamar (Ann. Stat. 29(1): 194 - 223) which is, of course,
concerned with the location case, the authors recommend to use k0=1.988
instead of k0=1.548 (cf. p. 206).

Hope that helps!
Matthias