[R] Lack of independence in anova()

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Jul 7 02:02:06 CEST 2005

Hi, Göran:  I'll bite:

	  (a) I'd like to see your counterexample.

	  (b) I'd like to know what is wrong with my the following, apparently
defective, proof that they can't be independent:  First consider
indicator functions of independent events A, B, and C.

	  P{(AC)&(BC)} = P{ABC} = PA*PB*PC.

	  But P(AC)*P(BC) = PA*PB*(PC)^2.  Thus, AC and BC can be independent
only if PC = 0 or 1, i.e., the indicator of C is constant almost surely.

	  Is there a flaw in this?  If not, is there some reason this case
cannot be extended the product of arbitrary random variables X, Y, and
W=1/Z?

	  Thanks,
	  spencer graves

Göran Broström wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 10:06:45AM -0700, Thomas Lumley wrote:
> (...)
>
>> If X, Y, and Z are
>>independent and Z takes on more than one value then X/Z and Y/Z can't be
>>independent.
>

> Not really true. I  can produce a counterexample on request (admittedly
> quite trivial though).
>
> Göran Broström

Spencer Graves, PhD
Senior Development Engineer