[R] pretty for date-time?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Jul 6 23:44:47 CEST 2005

davidr at rhotrading.com wrote:
> pretty() works well for numbers and axTicks() can help for potting log axes,
> but has anyone written a pretty for chron objects (or other date or date-time classes)?
> It would have natural units of years, months, .., days, hours, (minutes?), and
> it would choose the appropriate unit based on the date(time) range.
> I have searched the archives and documentation to no avail.
> (I wrote one of these back in my Fortran days, and it was non-trivial, even just for dates.)

I don't think it exists (but you never know if it is in a contributed
package on CRAN).  However, there are methods for the generic axis()
function that work on Date and POSIXct objects.  (See ?axis.Date for
details).

Do these do enough for you, or do you want some of the other options
pretty() offers?

Duncan Murdoch