[R] Plotting confidence intervals for lme

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Jul 6 18:44:29 CEST 2005

	  Consider the following extension of an example in "?lme":

fm2 <- lme(distance ~ age + Sex, data = Orthodont, random = ~ 1)
int <- intervals(fm2)
class(int$fixed)
kf <- dim(int$fixed)[1]
plot(int$fixed[,2], kf:1,
      xlab="x", ylab="", xlim=range(int$fixed),
      axes=FALSE)
axis(1)
axis(2, kf:1, dimnames(int$fixed)[[1]])
segments(int$fixed[,1], kf:1,
          int$fixed[,3], kf:1)
abline(v=0)

	  However, we are mixing units, i.e., the units for the intercept are
"distance", while for "age" are "distance/time", and the interpretation
of the coefficient of a factor like Sex depends on contrasts used.
Thus, I don't know how much sense it makes to prepare plots like this.

	  For similar plots that make more sense, see Pinheiro and Bates (2000
Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-PLUS (Springer).

	  spencer graves

--
Spencer Graves, PhD
Senior Development Engineer