[R] R emacs and ess

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Jul 4 22:56:17 CEST 2005

"O.J. Shaikh" <shaikhoj at univmail.cis.mcmaster.ca> writes:

> Hi all,
>  I want to apologise first for being a beginner with linux/emacs/ess;
> I am pretty good with R ;).

Not at upgrading it, it seems ... ;-)

> I have R-1.9.1 installed on my directory of a linux server, I also have
> ess 5.2.8 installed there as well.  When I call R using (C-u M-x R) in
> emacs, i receive the following error [no match].
>
> I was wondering if emacs is not looking for ess in the right place (if
> there is something i have to edit into the .emacs file) and if someone
> could explain to me how i should do that since i am not good with
> linux.
>
> I was also wondering if emacs cant find R and if someone could let me
> know how i should go about doing that.  Currently to execute R I use
> (sh R) from the R bin directory.

There's an ESS list too, but you would seem to have omitted to put
something in you emacs startup file. It's usually (require 'ess-site),
but likely different if you install in a private dir. Something like
(load "/wherever/you/put/it/ess-site"), I guess. Check the install
documentation.

--
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Øster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B
 (*) \(*) -- University of Copenhagen   Denmark          Ph: (+45) 35327918