[R] loop over large dataset

Federico Calboli f.calboli at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jul 4 15:29:38 CEST 2005

On 4 Jul 2005, at 12:41, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> Federico Calboli wrote:
>

>> In my absentmindedness I'd forgotten to CC this to the list...
>> and  BTW, using gc() in the loop increases the runtime...
>>

> If the data size increases, you cannot expect linear run time
> behaviour, e.g. because gc() is called more frequently. And of
> course, gc() needs some time, hence you get the expected increase
> in runtime. This answers you other question as well.

Is then internal gc() calls that increase the runtime from 5 minutes
to more then 24 hours for a 27x increase in data (given that the code
is exactely the same)?

Federico

--
Federico C. F. Calboli
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health

Tel +44 (0)20 75941602   Fax +44 (0)20 75943193

f.calboli [.a.t] imperial.ac.uk
f.calboli [.a.t] gmail.com