[R] plot question

John Wilkinson (pipex) wilks at dial.pipex.com
Sun Jul 3 21:15:58 CEST 2005

Gabor,

I thought that I had worked around the 'expression' format problem,
but if the x-y labels are to be bold, then using,say, cex.lab=1.25    in the
title(), appears to simulate 'bold' font very well, both for the ylab maths
expression and xlab text.

Your solution is the rigorous one!

John

for example --

plot(rnorm(10),rnorm(10),xlab=" ",ylab=" ")
title(xlab="year",
ylab=expression(paste("M x"*10^{3})),font.lab=1,col.lab=4,
cex.lab=1.25)

Gabor Grothendieck wrote ---

Trying characters and expressions variously it seems that font.lab applies
to character strings but not to expressions so if you want to use an
expression
just use bold (or whatever) explicitly on the expression.  One gotcha is
that
bold will not work as one might have expected on numbers so they must
be represented as character strings -- which is why we have used "3" rather
than 3 below.

plot(rnorm(10),rnorm(10),xlab=quote(bold(year)),ylab=quote(bold("Mx10"^"3"))
)