[R] Pearson and Spearman correlation coeffcients matrix

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Sun Jul 3 15:33:15 CEST 2005

I think "associated statistics" means p-levels.

This post
http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp01/archive/5380.html
tells how to do it and gives and example.

But I think that nobody wants to make a function for this because
it would encourage bad behavior, i.e., snooping through a
correlation matrix looking for "significant" correlations and
then making up a story about how the 5% of them that were
significant at p<.05 were really planned tests.

Jon

On 07/03/05 08:12, Douglas Bates wrote:
 On 7/3/05, Nuno Soares <ndsoares at mail.telepac.pt> wrote:
 > Hi everyone,
 >
 > I've been trying to find a function that outputs the Pearson and/or Spearman
 > correlation coefficients for several variables with the associated
 > statistics in one single table/matrix. For what I've been able to understand
 > the Stats package is only able to compute these coeficients/statistics only
 > in defined pairs. This becomes time consuming when we want to determine
 > these measures with, say, 10 variables or more. Does anyone knows a solution
 > to this?

 I believe that the cor function already does what you want.  Check

 ?cor

 and

 example(cor)

 If the first argument to cor is a matrix, it returns the correlation
 matrix of all the columns.

Home page: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron
R search page: http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/