[R] probability-probability plot

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Jul 3 05:33:20 CEST 2005

	  There are PP plots and QQ plots.  I've tried PP plots and didn't get
much from them.  The normal QQ plot [qqnorm, in R], however, I use for
all kinds of things.  In a data mining situation, I'll get, e.g., 500
p.values, all uniformily distributed under the null hypothesis.  I'll
transform that null distribution to N(0, 1) with qnorm(p.values) and make

	  qqnorm(qnorm(p.values), datax=TRUE).

	  I may be chastised severely by Tukeyites for "datax=TRUE", but the
human eye can decode a 45 degree angle easier than any other angle other
than horizontal or vertical.  If you have a couple of mild outliers with
a typical aspect ratio of the plot, the "datax=TRUE" option will make
the line moderately close to 45 degrees.

	  spencer graves

--
Spencer Graves, PhD
Senior Development Engineer